The COVID-19 pandemic disrupted the provision of essential health services to mothers and neonates across Zimbabwe. It threatened to erode the national gains made in the last decade in reducing maternal and neonatal mortality rates. Through a partnership with ELMA Foundation, we provided catalytic support to restore essential services at 16 referral maternity units to improve maternal and neonatal health outcomes.
- Provision of equipment and PPE to 16 hospitals.
- Comprehensive Emergency Obstetrics and Neo-natal Care (CEmONC) training to 4,000 healthcare workers.
Cholera Elimination Secretariat
The Cholera Elimination Secretariat (CES) is the body established to provide catalytic support to the National Taskforce on Cholera Elimination. The Secretariat coordinates stakeholders in the development and implementation of a Cholera Elimination strategy with the goal of ending cholera in Zimbabwe by 2028.
- Coordination of Cholera Elimination Roadmap development.
- Establishment of Public Health Emergency Operations Centre.
- Provision of water, soap and water purification amenities.
- Provision of WASH facilities at strategic locations within cholera hotspot areas - schools, clinics, hospitals.
- Education and awareness programmes with National Reach.
Ending Neglected Tropical Diseases
Our investment in Neglected Tropical Disease (NTD) control in partnership with the END Fund and Ministry of Health and Child Care, has facilitated the treatment of millions of Zimbabweans for schistosomiasis (SCH), soil-transmitted helminths (STH), trachoma and lymphatic filariasis (LF). Through the Deworming Innovation Fund, we have committed to the bold goal of eliminating schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminths at a national level in Zimbabwe by 2025 through innovation and partnership.
- Treatment - Administration of NTD treatments in endemic districts through Mass Drug Administrations (MDAs).
- Prevention – Comprehensive health education that drives sustainable behaviour change in at-risk communities.
- Mapping – Precision mapping exercises to inform future interventions, including the expansion of treatment to wider populations.
- Innovation - Development and adoption of innovations for NTDs through local and international partnerships.
Save a Life: Handwashing and COVID-19 Education
The Save a Life: National Handwashing and COVID-19 Education Campaign is a soap and water distribution programme with community-based education at its core. In collaboration with Clean City, the campaign targets hotspot areas across the country acutely affected by limited access to WASH facilities and are at risk from cholera, NTDs and COVID-19.
- Online training for communities, teachers and village health workers.
- Water delivery to affected communities.
- Soap distribution to communities.
- Community education on COVID-19 and WASH practices.